Tuesday 16 November 2010

Un disque rayé...

It's only been a few days since my last post, but I have something I really want to get off my chest.

Anyone who knows me well, and perhaps not so well, will know that I am a bit of a music nazi and don't like to expand my horizons to accommodate other peoples tastes. But I'm seriously beginning to worry about the future of British music. I've been brought up by a father who has a good taste in music and who has always encouraged me to appreciate natural musical talents above all else. For example, regarding those who can play their own instruments and write their own songs superior to all else. A mentality I have adopted to this day, and will express at any opportunity.

Today I decided to scour the top lists on spotify to find some new and exciting music to accompany the many nights I will spend writing lesson plans and planning my 6,000 word YA project. And on the top 50 list, there is nothing by a band. And by "band" I mean people who are capable of writing their own songs and music. Although this proves nothing about the state of British music, just that dominating demographic of Spotify is fans of hip hop, r'n'b and manufactured shite.

Of course I have nothing against fans of Rihanna and Usher, I just find it irritating when people who actually want to listen to new up and coming British bands struggle because our radio and television is full of X factor rejects. This year I made the decision not to watch it, because I'm fed up of shows like that building up young "talents" only to make them national treasures and then drop them as soon as the next big thing comes along.

This may shock people, but I actually can't get enough of Lady Gaga. Her outlandish fashion, her amazing voice and her songs. Which she has written herself. I was actually inspired when I found out she was the brains behind many of Christina Aguilera's hits that even I enjoyed back in the day. Due to confidence issues she gave her songs away and wanted to stay out of the spotlight. Everyone knows the rest of the story as she shot to fame for her ridiculous clothes. In a way, she is a real role model to young girls today (maybe not by wearing clothes out of meat), and not people like Rihanna who should be slapped for releasing a song called "Rude Boy". When I first heard that song I did a double take, I couldn't believe half of those lyrics weren't bleeped out! Frankie goes to Hollywood were extradited for "Relax". It's just extraordinary that these big label stars can get away with it, especially when her main audience is teen girls. Disgusting.

I'm fully aware that music is changing, and pop music refers to what is currently popular. I'm fully aware that this will change over the years and this years big thing will be next year's has-been. I just think it's a crying shame that the British music scene is currently dominated by big-label American acts. If people could only dig a little deeper to find good music, instead of accepting whatever Ferne Cotten brands a "tuuuuuuuuune!" as the best thing ever then maybe our music scene would be a little better.

God I sound like a right nazi. My apologies. I just know what I like.

In other news, my week has been much better. My schools are going really well and the kids are finally getting the hang of "my name is....", magical. Bingo and colours to come next week, watch this space for more moaning and whinging from your favourite music nazi.

Get it?

No comments:

Post a Comment